MONEY: China Slashes Rare Earth Exports AGAIN By 35%
Reuters – 1 hr 24 mins ago WASHINGTON (Reuters) – New claims for unemployment benefits dropped more than expected last week to their lowest level in more than two years, suggesting the labor market recovery was gaining strength. Full Story »
Reuters – Thu Dec 30, 5:49 am ET
BEIJING (Reuters) – China defended its export controls on rare earth minerals on Thursday, saying that they were in line with World Trade Organization rules, after a government move to slash export quotas on rare earths sparked trade concerns. Full Story »
- Asian markets were mostly higher in overnight trading, but the Nikkei was down 1.12%. European indices are all lower this morning, and U.S. futures suggest a lower open. Now here are the 10 unusual stocks to watch this morning >
- Initial jobless claims came in way better than expected, at 388,000. Check out the details here >
- Chinese PMI fell by slightly less than one point to 54.4 signaling a slowdown in the country’s manufacturing sector. Whether this is a product of the government’s tightening measures or not is unknown. Don’t miss: 17 facts about China that will blow your mind >
- The Carlyle Group has sold a $860 million portion of its position in China Pacific Insurance Group. The firm has made a significant profit on its original investment.
- The weakening U.S. dollar is causing problems for Japanese exporters, and the Nikkei was down 1.12% overnight as a result. Japan has not entered into currency markets to weaken the yen this month.
- South Korea’s latest review of North Korea’s military might shows the country increasing its tank and special forces units. The rise in special forces has been huge, from 20,000 two years ago to 200,000 today. Here’s the full extent of North Korea’s military threat >
- Ivory Coast’s crisis worsened overnight with the President’s supporters threatening to take over the base of his opposition on January 1. The UN now says the country, a key cocoa supplier, could be on the brink of genocide.
- Both Lockheed Martin and Australia’s Austal have won bids to build a new class of U.S. Navy warship. Lockheed’s contract is worth $3.6 billion over the next five years. Check out what the U.S. Air Force is preparing for >
- Chicago PMI surged massively in December to 68.6. Read about it here >
- The Pending Home Sales Index rose 3.5% in November. Read about it here >
- Bonus: Denise Richards was seen leaving a movie theater with her now boyfriend Nikki Sixx, of Motley Crue, last night.
Pinafore Acquisitions Limited Tender Offer for Notes
12/30/2010 10:49AM – Dow Jones Business News
US Mortgage Rates Mostly Rise; 30-Year Fixed At 4.86% -Freddie
12/30/2010 10:44AM – Dow Jones Business News
Groupon Aiming For IPO By End Of 2011 -NYT
12/30/2010 10:34AM – Dow Jones Business News
US Reps Bachus,Hensarling Want Fed To Slow Down On Debit Card Rules
12/30/2010 10:32AM – Dow Jones Business News
Chicago Business Barometer Hits 68.6 In Dec;Highest In 22 Years
12/30/2010 10:27AM – Dow Jones Business News
ECB Nowotny: Some Euro Zone Countries Could Face Further Challenges
12/30/2010 10:26AM – Dow Jones Business News
Swedish Court Decides To Hold Suspected Terrorist
12/30/2010 10:23AM – Dow Jones Business News
IMF Economist Sees Europe Bank Bailouts Likely `Quite Limited’
12/30/2010 10:21AM – Dow Jones Business News
DJ-BTMU Barometer Jumps In Latest Week
12/30/2010 10:14AM – Dow Jones Business News
MARKET SNAPSHOT: U.S. Stocks Drop After Jobless, Manufacturing Data
12/30/2010 10:11AM – Dow Jones Business News
Table Of Data From US Chicago Purchasing Managers’ Report
12/30/2010 10:07AM – Dow Jones Business News
BOND REPORT: Treasurys Slip As End-of-year Approaches
12/30/2010 10:04AM – Dow Jones Business News
LONDON MARKETS: Randgold Resources, Vodafone Lean On FTSE
12/30/2010 10:02AM – Dow Jones Business News
UPDATE: Carrefour Opens First Wholesale Store In India
12/30/2010 9:33AM – Dow Jones Business News
UPDATE: Chile Sept-Nov Unemployment 7.1% Vs 7.6% In Aug-Oct
12/30/2010 9:28AM – Dow Jones Business News
US Online Holiday Sales So Far Rise 13%: ComScore
12/30/2010 9:16AM – Dow Jones Business News
India Cabinet OKs Infusion Of INR12 Billion Equity Into Air India
12/30/2010 9:15AM – Dow Jones Business News
CIT To Redeem $500 Million Of Notes As It Continues Efforts To Cut Debt
12/30/2010 9:09AM – Dow Jones Business News
UPDATE: Airbus 2010 Order Intake At Least 50% Above Initial Forecast
12/30/2010 9:00AM – Dow Jones Business News
DATA SNAP: US Weekly Jobless Claims Hit Lowest Level Since July ’08
12/30/2010 8:45AM – Dow Jones Business News
Capital Shopping Shareholders Trim Stakes Below Simon Offer
12/30/2010 8:37AM – Dow Jones Business News
WPP Digital Buys US Digital Agency Blue State Digital
12/30/2010 8:18AM – Dow Jones Business News
CONSUMER FINANCE: Whether Mom Works Or Not, The Kids Are OK
12/30/2010 8:13AM – Dow Jones Business News
Chile Sept-Nov Unemployment Falls To 7.1% Vs 7.6% In Aug-Oct
12/30/2010 7:25AM – Dow Jones Business News
UK’s John Lewis Says Sales Off To A Strong Start
12/30/2010 7:22AM – Dow Jones Business News
Industrial Cos See Acquisitions As Hedge Against Slower ’11 Growth
12/30/2010 6:44AM – Dow Jones Business News
Denmark Terrorist Attack Suspects To Be Held For A Month
12/30/2010 6:38AM – Dow Jones Business News
Hungary Media Law Should Only Be Criticized On Abuse-Official
12/30/2010 6:14AM – Dow Jones Business News
Holy See Outlines New Rules To Fight Money Laundering, Terrorism
12/30/2010 6:14AM – Dow Jones Business News
Bomb Explodes Near Greek Embassy In Argentina
12/30/2010 6:13AM – Dow Jones Business News
Selloff of over 1%.
Reuters – 34 mins ago
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A two-speed global recovery will extend into 2011, with growth slow in developed countries while emerging-market economies power ahead, the International Monetary Fund’s chief economist predicted on Thursday. Full Story »
AFP – Wed Dec 29, 3:47 am ET
LONDON (AFP) – London’s leading stocks rose at the start of trading on Wednesday after the extended festive holiday. Full Story »
Reuters – Wed Dec 29, 10:49 am ET
MADRID (Reuters) – Spain aims to sell far less debt in 2011 than it did in 2010, keeping a lid on new issuance as it looks to balance deficit-reduction goals and a market seeking high returns to invest in peripheral euro zone economies. Full Story »
Yes, that’s his real name. He’s really a Prince, and that’s his fiancée in the pictures.
So he’s a hedge funder, not a prude, and has a sense of humor — how’d she let this one go?
How about a 65 mph hard speed limit?
The eurozone’s corporations may be coming back.
It’s much worse than ever, and you should be alarmed.
His “Brownie-you’re-doing-a-heck-of-a-job moment.”
Get your kids started on entrepreneurship early. Here are business ideas even five-year-olds can do.
Could it be a witchhunt?
Expectations were for 415,000 new claims.
Lockheed wins new contract, selloff in Japan hits Toyota and Honda, and more rare earths news.
Our own personal Ireland.
It’s a home, not an investment.
The kid wasn’t listening to the stewardess during landing.
Shirav Puri promised 18% returns to millionaires.
But there may be some signs of stability from the Office of Thrift Supervision.
The double dip is setting all kinds of records.
AP – Mon Dec 27, 3:39 pm ET
JACKSON, Miss. – Second-quarter net income at Cal-Maine Foods Inc. fell nearly 6 percent, the company said Monday, citing higher feed costs. Full Story »
AP – 22 mins ago
BRATISLAVA, Slovakia – Bells pealed and fireworks shot across midnight skies in Bratislava two years ago, as Slovaks celebrated not only the New Year but also their country’s long-sought entry to the club of nations using the continent’s common currency, the euro. Full Story »
AP – 37 mins ago
NEW YORK – The average rate on 30-year fixed mortgages rose this week to the highest level in seven months, reflecting higher yields on long-term Treasurys. Full Story »
AP – 38 mins ago
MADRID – Spain’s prime minister said Thursday he expected the Spanish economy to grow again in the final three months of the year after a flat third quarter performance raised fears that the eurozone’s fourth largest economy could be heading back into recession. Full Story »
Reuters – Wed Dec 29, 9:35 pm ET
NEW YORK (Reuters) – A blizzard in the Northeast this weekend postponed about $1 billion in holiday retail sales by keeping shoppers out of stores in the days after Christmas, research firm ShopperTrak said on Wednesday. Full Story »
AP – 33 mins ago
NEW YORK – The number of people who signed contracts to buy homes rose in November, the fourth increase since contract signings hit a low in June. Full Story »
Reuters – 40 mins ago
LONDON (Reuters) – OPEC output has risen slightly in December as Nigerian supply has increased, a Reuters survey found, indicating the group has yet to boost production substantially in response to prices at a 26-month high. Full Story »
AP – Wed Dec 29, 4:44 pm ET
NEW HAVEN, Conn. – Upset the federal government recently extended tax cuts for the rich, three professors at Yale and Cornell universities have created a website that encourages wealthy Americans to give their tax savings to charities and send a political message in the process. Full Story »
Reuters – 1 hr 31 mins ago